- Using Workflow Actions to Change the Status of a Quote
- Manually Changing the Status of a Quote
- Status Option Definitions
Each Quote has a status applied to it. The status determines whether or not the Quote creates conflicts. If a Quote is creating conflicts, then the inventory on the Quote will not be considered available for other jobs during the Quote's dates.
Typically, Quotes begin in a status that does not create conflicts (like Inquiry), then can be set to a status that creates conflicts (like Tentative or Confirmed) using workflow actions.
Using Workflow Actions to Change the Status of a Quote
- Open the Quote that you want to change the status of.
- Find the Workflow section in the Workbench Menu (right-hand menu).
- Click any available workflow action to change the status.
Because the Quote workflow can be modified, the options you see in the Workflow section of the menu might be different than the default options. By default, a Quote in the Inquiry status will show the following options:
- Set to Tentative: One step above Inquiry, but not 100% confirmed yet. By default, the Tentative status does create conflicts.
- Confirm Quote: Use this action when the Quote is 100% confirmed. The Confirmed status does create conflicts.
- Cancel Quote: Use this action when the Quote is cancelled. The Cancelled status does not create conflicts.
As you set a Quote to a new status, new workflow actions will be made available. For example: By default, when a Quote is set to the Confirmed status, the workflow actions that are available include Cancel Quote, Reset to Inquiry, Reset to Tentative, Create / Update Pull Sheet, and Flag as Ready to Invoice.
These workflow actions, statuses, and workflow jobs (email templates, element generators, etc.) can be modified. Learn how on the Modifying the Quote Workflow page.
Manually Changing the Status of a Quote
You can bypass using workflow actions to change the status of a Quote by manually changing the status.
To enable manual status changes, you will have to change the Quote element settings.
- On the Projects menu, click Project Elements.
- Double-click Quote.
- Click the Status Options tab.
- Change the Status Edit Mode option to Manual Changes Permitted.
- Click UPDATE.
With the setting changed to Manual Changes Permitted, you can click Edit Header from a Quote and manually change the Status field using the drop-down menu.
While there is nothing inherently wrong with enabling manual status changes, it often leads to problems with accountability (since anybody can change to any status they want), and eliminates workflow jobs (like sending email templates, automatically creating child elements, etc.).
Status Option Definitions
When a Quote is set to a status, the Quote will inherit the attributes of that status. The main attribute of a status is whether or not it creates conflicts. When a Quote is in a status that creates conflicts, then the inventory on the Quote will not be considered available for other jobs during the Quote's dates.
Status options can be found on the System Settings menu. The attributes associated with a status option include the following:
- Name: The name of the status (Inquiry, Tentative, Confirmed, Prepped, etc.).
- Creates Conflicts: Determines whether or not an element in this status creates conflicts (explanation of creates conflicts can be found in the Overview).
- Closed Status: Determines whether or not an element in this status will be closed, which means the element cannot be edited, and will not show up in searches unless "show closed" settings are applied.
- Locked Status: Determines whether or not an element in this status is locked, which means the element cannot be edited. The element will still show up in searches, and is not considered closed.
- Locks Availability: Determines whether or not an element in this status will control availability. For example: A Pull Sheet (as a child to a Quote) might be in a status that locks availability, and it will control availabilty as opposed to the Quote.
- Probability: A percentage value representing the likelihood that a job will happen when it is in this status.
- Background Color: Determines the default background color that will be used when an element enters this status.
- Text Color: Determines the default text color that will be used when an element enters this status.
- Border Color: Determines the default border color that will be used when an element enters this status.
- Bold: Determines whether or not the status text is bold when an element enters this status.
- Italic: Determines whether or not the status text is italicized when an element enters this status.