This article covers the basics of getting started with your Flex to QuickBooks Desktop integration. First, it goes over installing QuickBooks Web Connector. Then, it covers basic settings to configure prior to using the integration. Be sure to check out the QuickBooks Desktop | Overview and Key Concepts for general information.
Installing QuickBooks Web Connector
Navigate to the QuickBooks Desktop integration settings:
- On the Main Menu, click Integrations
- Click QuickBooks Desktop
A new Flex tab will open showing QuickBooks Desktop integration settings. In the header, click Download the QuickBooks Web Connector .
The file FLEX-RENTAL-SOLUTIONS.QWC will be downloaded to your system.
Navigate to Set up QuickBooks Web Connector and follow the instructions. Use the downloaded file for Step 2: Add an app to Web Connector.
Configuring the Basics
From the QuickBooks Desktop tab opened above, click the Authorizations subtab (if not selected already).
Select desired users/groups under Authorized Users and Authorized Groups.
This selection allows users to use Workflow functions associated with QuickBooks Desktop (e.g., "Export to QuickBooks").
Click the Settings subtab. In the Accounting Settings section (scroll down if necessary), ensure the settings reflect your QuickBooks configuration. Each setting is detailed below.
- QuickBooks Version -- The country version of your QuickBooks Desktop software. Typically this is the country you operate in.
- Tax Mode (US Only)
- “Tax as Line Item” sends taxes calculated in Flex to QuickBooks as a line item on the Invoice.
- “Use Tax Field” sends each element’s Flex Sales Tax Rule to QuickBooks in the Invoice Tax field.
- Non Applicable Tax Name (US Only) -- When Tax Mode is “Tax as Line Item”, this field is sent as the QuickBooks Sales Tax Item shown in the Tax field on Invoices. From QuickBooks: It is recommended to name such a tax item “Tax Calculated On Invoice” so that it’s clear that the tax is not being applied by QuickBooks on the entire invoice.
- Currencies Enabled -- When “Yes”, this sends the currency set in the Flex Contact to the QuickBooks Customer or Vendor settings. It also adds the currency code (e.g., “USD”) to the A/R Account description.
- Daily GL Account Sync Enabled -- When “Yes”, Flex reaches out to QuickBooks daily to ensure the list of GL Accounts in Flex matches those available in QuickBooks.
Now that Flex and QuickBooks are connected and the basics have been configured, adjust additional settings as necessary.