With QuickBooks Online and Flex working to communicate your information back and forth, troubleshooting the connection between Flex and QuickBooks can be complex. We're here to help.
Always follow the steps for diagnosing the problem, in order, when you first encounter a problem. It's the fastest way to get an answer. (If Flex has solved it before, it gets you straight to the solution we know works. If Flex hasn't seen it yet, it helps us get to the bottom of things as quickly as possible.)
Understanding the information in the tables:
- Error Code lists error codes precisely as shown in the error
- Error Message uses direct quotes of the core message shown in the error
- Problem summarizes the user experience in one line (might contain links in parentheses)
- Links are to proven solutions from Flex or more information from outside resources
Diagnosing QuickBooks Online Problems
Find known answers fast
- Note the error code and error message.
- Search this page for the error code. If no code/results, search this page for the error message. If no message/results, search or browse this page for some keywords related to the problem. (Learn how to search in page.)
- When you find a match, click the link. Depending on the specific error, you might see more than one link. Generally, the Error Message link is more specific than the Error Code link. When there is no error code/message or the solution applies to multiple errors, a link is provided in Problem.
- If you don't find a match, continue below
Determine where the problem is occurring
Note the specifics of the error you're getting. Where do you see the error? What information is contained in the error? What steps were you taking when you encountered the problem?
You can find some errors after the fact in Flex > Menu > Integrations > QuickBooks Online > Errors
- Compare the specifics you're getting with the following:
- QuickBooks Online errors will appear while using the Flex app, and are recorded by Flex. Flex displays a user-friendly error explanation, often with a link for more information. When "Expand Error" is clicked, additional information is shown that comes directly from QuickBooks. The errors will include an error code, error message, and sometimes additional information. They'll also include "Error Source: QuickBooks Online" so the source of the error is clear. These errors often contain the solution to the problem in the "Expand Error" information.
When "Expand Error" is clicked:
In the Errors log:
- Flex errors will appear while using the Flex app, and are recorded by Flex. They often contain "Flex" or "Flex4" in the error. They frequently prevent the data from being sent to QuickBooks at all. They might contain the solution in the error itself.
Determine the likely source of the error and double-check the troubleshooting table for that source. (Flex errors have a separate article.)
- If you don't find a match, continue below.
Get solutions for QuickBooks errors
Search QuickBooks Support for the error code. If no code/results, search for the error message. If no message/results, search for some keywords related to the problem.
To be sure your results are specific to QuickBooks Online, use the Filter to select by product (located just above the listed results).
- If you find a match, follow the QuickBooks solution.
- If you don't find a match, try a web search. Other companies that connect to QuickBooks have often come across problems that Flex hasn't seen yet. QuickBooks error codes/messages are not unique to Flex. Solutions from a web search frequently work when applied.
- If you find a match, try it
- If you don't find a match, reach out to the QuickBooks community or contact QuickBooks Support
- If the problem persists, submit a support ticket
Problems related to QuickBooks forms, functions, etc. or that have a QuickBooks error code/message. If the problem isn't listed below, continue by following the process above for diagnosing QuickBooks Online problems.
|Required param missing, need to supply the required value for the API
I can’t export Flex elements to QuickBooks.
|Invalid String. The String may contain unsupported or illegal chars
|String length is either shorter or longer than supported by specification
|Invalid Email Address Format
|Invalid Reference Id : An item in this transaction is set up as a category instead of a product or service.
|Internal Server Error
|Error parsing query
|A business validation error has occurred while processing your request
|Duplicate Document Number
|Account Period Closed
|Account Period Closed, Cannot Update Through Services API
|Duplicate Name Exists
|PurchaseOrder is not enabled
Problems related to Flex elements, functions, etc. or that have a Flex error code/message have a separate article to search.